Sautéed spinach from Botswana is so healthy and delicious! Keep reading to find out how to make this awesome side dish with just a few simple ingredients.
Hello Reader! I try my hardest to research recipes as best as I can before posting to ensure I am representing each culture correctly. If this recipe is from your country and I have made a mistake or you have suggestions for how to make it more authentic, I would love to hear! Please leave a comment below letting me know what should be different, and I will rework the recipe. It is always my intention to pay homage and respect to each cultural dish that I cook. Thanks for reading!
What pairs well with a bowl of cornmeal and some stew? Sautéed Spinach of course! In Botswana, sautéed spinach is a must. It makes every meal better! This recipe is so easy to throw together and so very delicious.
This spinach definitely has big enough portions that it could be served as a side at a party. It mades about 10-12 servings in total.
How to Make Sautéed Spinach from Botswana
To make this dish, simply cut up the onion, tomato, and red bell pepper into bite-sized pieces. Warm some olive oil in a pan on the stove and add the vegetables to the pan. Cook over the heat until the vegetables soften and are easy to poke through with a fork. Right before the vegetables are done, add the spinach to the pan. You may need to add the spinach in rounds to allow the leaves the space to wilt and make room for more spinach leaves.
Once the spinach has cooked down, add the salt, pepper, and chili powder into the pan as well. Season to taste! Remove the dish from the flame and transfer to a serving bowl. Place a few dollops of butter on top of the spinach and allow the heat from the dish to melt the butter. MMM.
Easy, right? Now go make it yourself!
Did you like this recipe? Also check out these other recipes I picked out just for you!:
If you make this recipe, take a photo at home and share it with me on Facebook by tagging @TheForeignFork and hashtagging #TheForeignFork. As always, leave a comment on this post letting me know what you thought as well. Thanks for stopping by!
Sauteed Spinach from Botswana
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 Tomatoes , cubed
- 1 red bell pepper , sliced
- 20 oz spinach leaves
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Chili powder to taste
- 1 tbsp butter
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat.
- Once the oil is heated, add the cut onion, red pepper, and tomato. Cook until the vegetables are cooked all the way through and are easily pierced with a fork.
- Add the spinach. You may need to add it half at a time in order to have enough room. If this is the case, add 10 oz of spinach and wait for it to wilt. Then add the rest.
- Cook until the spinach is wilted to your desired consistency. Then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste.
- Transfer spinach to a separate plate. Top with small dollops of butter and allow the heat of the dish to melt it. Enjoy!
- Leave a review on this post letting me know what you thought.