Zucchini Slice is a savory Australian bread made with zucchini. Fill it with whatever vegetables and cheese you like!
Zucchini Slice is an Australian specialty. It can be served as either a main course or a side dish, but whichever way you choose to enjoy it, it’s delicious. You can fill the bread with whatever you’d like, but today I’ve chosen ham, peas, carrots, red onions, and Kroger’s Private Selection Crumbled Goat Cheese. Have you ever heard of a better combo? I don’t think so! (and if you have, let me know so that I can put those ingredients in this bread too, please.)
I chose to use a bag of frozen peas and carrots for simplicity sake. Before adding them to the batter, microwave them for about 20 seconds– just enough to thaw– and then bring them back to room temperature.
Try my combo or try your own, but either way, try this recipe. Let me know what you think below! If you liked this recipe, try one of my other bread favorites: Albanian Pispili. If you try the Zucchini slice recipe, don’t forget to use #theforeignfork when sharing photos on social media!
Australian Zucchini Slice
- 3 cups zucchini grated (about 2 small zucchini)
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus a tbsp
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion roughly chopped
- 1 cup peas and carrots frozen
- 1 cup thick slice ham, diced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After the zucchini is grated, squeeze it in a kitchen towel to remove all of the liquid.
- In a small bowl, microwave the peas and carrots for about 20 seconds until they thaw. Set aside to bring to room temperature.
- On the stove, sauté the red onion in a bit of olive oil for about 4 minutes, just until translucent. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Pour in the olive oil and sprinkle with fresh cracked black pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add peas, carrots, reserved red onion, zucchini and chopped ham. Mix briefly.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix until well combined.
- Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper, then spray with non-stick spray.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Sprinkle the goat cheese on top.
- Bake in oven for about 50 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before slicing, then enjoy!