Chicken chili is a warm, hearty chili that’s easy to throw together with staples from your pantry. Here are some excellent ideas to serve with it!
Chicken Chili is quick, easy comfort food that is satisfying enough to leave you feeling full. The best thing about it is you probably already have the ingredients in your pantry. It’s the perfect dish to prepare when you’re feeling ready to snuggle up with a warm bowl of something yummy but don’t want to make a trip to the grocery store.
Using ingredients you probably already have on hand, like cannellini beans and cooked chicken, makes it an easy weeknight dinner that your taste buds are sure to enjoy.
To make a meal of it, you need some savory side dishes. Because this dish is so versatile, you have plenty of options for what to serve with it. Keep reading for my favorite suggestions!
Of all the meals you can choose to make, I would consider White Chicken Chili to be healthy. The chicken and white beans are full of protein.
Unlike traditional chili, which calls for ground beef, chicken chili uses a leaner meat, cutting out some fat. Beans are also packed with fiber which has been shown to lower cholesterol.
If your chicken chili has turned out a bit too watery for your taste (more like a soup than a thick, heart chili) there are several things you can try.
For my Instant pot recipe I like to thicken the chili with cream cheese. The cream cheese gives it a creamy, rich flavor without being overpowering. You could also thicken your white chicken chili with a dollop of sour cream.
A big bowl of chicken chili makes excellent leftovers as long as you haven’t added too much dairy. Too much sour cream or cheese may cause it to separate with the temperature change, so it’s best to put some in the freezer before you add those items or any other toppings. If you decide to freeze it, store it in an airtight container. It can keep for up to 6 months in the freezer.
Once you are ready to thaw your chicken chili, run the container under hot water until you can remove the chili. Put the frozen chili in a pot and add about ¼ cup of chicken broth. Then heat over medium heat until the chili thaws and warms through.
There are, of course, so many ways to make Chicken Chili! My favorite Instant Pot recipe is linked below, and I love how fast the chili is cooked. If you do not have an Instant Pot, you can also make your chicken chili in a slow cooker, crock pot, or even on the stovetop.
Favorite Chicken Chili Recipes
- My go-to White Bean Chicken Chili recipe comes together very quickly in an instant pot, making it the perfect dinner to serve on a busy night. The simplicity is what makes it my favorite chili recipe.
- If you prefer your chicken chili on the creamier side, this recipe from The Cozy Cook includes cream cheese and half and half. It also uses jalapeno pepper and green chilies for a bit more spice.
- Sunday Supper has an excellent recipe for chicken chili that is a little closer to traditional chili with a chili powder taste and comes out a deep red color.
- If you’re not a fan of shredded chicken or are hoping to make this recipe even healthier you could switch it out for ground turkey. You could also leave out the meat altogether and substitute a can of rinsed black beans instead.
- Chili is a great way to use up cans of beans. If you do not have cannellini beans or great white beans on hand, try substituting pinto beans, great northern beans, or a can of red beans or kidney beans.
- You can easily make this recipe dairy free by omitting the cream cheese.
- Load up on toppings. What makes this recipe a real game changer is what you add on top. Crumble tortilla chips, add sour cream or cheese, or even throw some diced green chilies on top.
- Use rotisserie chicken for the easiest way to make this dish. If you have leftover rotisserie chicken, this is a great, hearty meal to make with it!
What to Serve with Chicken Chili
- Toppings: Tortilla chips, sour cream, cilantro, green chilies, green onions, cheddar cheese, red onion, fresh jalapenos, parmesan cheese, heavy cream
- Seasonings: Cayenne pepper, garlic powder, black pepper,
- Vegetables: Baked potato, sweet potatoes, sweet potato fries, onion rings
- Salad: Fresh salad, green salad, Caesar salad
- Breads: Cornbread, french bread, garlic bread, sourdough, soft pretzels, cheesy breadsticks, bowl of chips
Best Recipes to Serve with Chicken Chili
Instant Pot Cornbread
Moist, full of flavor, and so easy to make, this Instant Pot Cornbread (from Lynn’s Way of Life) will be your new go to cornbread recipe! And the best part is, you never have to turn on the oven!
Sweet Skillet Cornbread with Honey Butter
This honey and buttermilk cornbread recipe (from Foodworthfeed) is baked in a cast iron skillet and served with sweet and salty whipped honey butter! It’s our all time favorite cornbread recipe – perfect for sharing at cookouts, potlucks, holidays and family parties.
Roasted tenderstem broccoli (also known as broccolini or baby broccoli) (from Two Cloves Kitchen) is delicious when cooked until just crisp with garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Asiago Cheese Focaccia Bread
Asiago Cheese Focaccia Bread (from Flavor Mosaic) is an Italian bread topped with fresh herbs that can be used in a focaccia sandwich, pizza, or served with marinara or with a soup or salad.
Chopped Vegetable Salad
This Vegetable Chopped Salad (from Flavor Mosaic) is a light and refreshing salad recipe, loaded with juicy fresh vegetables and salad ingredients that can also be easily varied to suit your family’s preferences.
Balsamic Tomato Basil Salad
Made with garden-fresh tomatoes, spicy red onions, delicious sweet basil, and an easy three ingredient balsamic dressing, this Tomato Basil Salad (from The Forked Spoon) takes just 10 minutes to prepare start to finish. Enjoy this gluten-free, dairy-free, and low-carb Tomato Basil Salad as a light lunch or delicious side to all your favorite main courses.
Rosemary Garlic Sourdough Bread
This no-knead rosemary garlic sourdough bread (from Champagne Tastes) is a beginner-friendly artisan loaf that’s seasoned with dried herbs, garlic and (optionally) nutritional yeast. Proof overnight and then bake in a Dutch oven!
Air Fried Pickles
Love fried pickles? These healthier air fried pickles (from Champagne Tastes) are coated with seasoned breadcrumbs, and are easy to make at home in your Instant Pot Air Fryer.
Air Fryer Asparagus
This 8 minute Air Fryer Asparagus (from Tasty Galaxy) tastes just like Roasted Asparagus in the Oven, but takes much less time! This air fried asparagus will become your new favorite side dish!