This recipe for sweet potato fritters can be serve with Lemon Tahini Sauce or with a Cinnamon Honey Dip. Either way, making this recipe is a great way to experience the culture and flavor of Chad!
Straight up, I’m gonna tell you the truth. Finding food to make from Chad was HARD. I don’t know anybody from Chad; I couldn’t find any books on Chad; I barely could find any information ONLINE about the food of Chad.
When I began researching the food of Chad, I found quite a few recipes for sweet potato fritters. But… none of them explained WHY they are popular in Chad.
I can’t find any information, any background, any history into why sweet potato fritters are such a popular recipe that appears for Chad.
I wish I could give you more information on Chad-specific potatoes, but I can’t 🙁 If anyone knows anything about the Chadian experience with fritters, please comment and let me know!
What Are Sweet Potato Fritters?
Oh not much, just one of my favorite side dishes ever!!! In this recipe, sweet potatoes are shredded and then fried to make a beautiful, vaguely tater-tot like snack!
You can dip your sweet potato fritters in a honey cinnamon dip or in lemon tahini dressing. Both options are available in the recipe card below.
What Ingredients Are in This Recipe?
For the Sweet Potato Fritters
Sunflower oil for frying
For the Lemon Tahini Dip
½ tsp Za’atar
For the Cinnamon Honey Dip
How to Make Sweet Potato Fritters
Grate your sweet potatoes on the medium setting…. Not super fine, but not very thick.
Combine the rest of the sweet potato ingredients in a bowl.
Heat the oil in a frying pan on the stove (I know that my oil is ready when a chopstick inserted in the oil forms bubbles around the wood).
Use your hands to form the sweet potato combination into balls, and then press between your palms to flatten.
Fry until browned on each side and cooked through.
For each of the dip recipes, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Enjoy!
If you liked this appetizer recipe from Chad, make sure to check out my other international appetizers, listed here:
If you make my recipe, don’t forget to share a photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag @TheForeignFork and #TheForeignFork.
Sweet Potato Fritters with Lemon Tahini Sauce
Sweet Potato Fritters
- 2 sweet potatoes on the small side peeled and shredded
- 2 eggs
- ½ Cinnamon
- ¼ Flour
- ¼ normal breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
Lemon Tahini Dip
- ½ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp water
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp za’atar
Honey Cinnamon Dip
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp honey
- Peel your potatoes and then grate them on the medium setting…. Not super fine, but not very thick.
- Combine the rest of the sweet potato ingredients except for the oil in a bowl and mix.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on the stove (I know that my oil is ready when a chopstick inserted in the oil forms bubbles around the wood).
- Use your hands to form the sweet potato combination into balls, and then press between your palms to flatten.
- Fry until browned on each side and cooked through, flipping halfway through.
- For each of the dip recipes, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Enjoy!
- Leave a comment on this post letting me know what you think!