This Honey Barbecue Chicken Pizza is a homemade version of a Pizza Hut specialty that kicks some major pizza booty. Honey, Barbecue Sauce and Garlic are the basis for this ooey, gooey cheesy pizza topped with grilled chicken, green onions, honey, and sesame seeds. This is a Brunei Specialty you don’t want to miss!
Hello Reader! I try my hardest to research recipes as best as I can before posting to ensure I am representing each culture correctly. If this recipe is from your country and I have made a mistake or you have suggestions for how o make it more authentic, I would love to hear! Please leave a comment below letting me know what should be different, and I will rework the recipe. It is always my intention to pay homage and respect to each cultural dish that I cook. Thanks for reading!
HOLD UP. I know what you’re thinking…. Honey Barbecue Chicken Pizza? From… Brunei?
So the short answer here is: YES.
But here’s the longer answer: I know, I know. BBQ pizza is not generally considered a traditional food for Brunei to showcase. However… one could argue (and I’m definitely going to) that the Honey Barbecue Chicken Pizza plays a part in the culture of Brunei.
“But how?” you might ask. Ah, friend, a valid question. Okay, so the barbecue chicken pizza is a highlight on the Pizza Hut menu in Brunei. In fact, Brunei is the only country in the world that showcases this pizza on the menu! Honestly, after tasting this pizza, I’m really not sure why Pizza Hut doesn’t roll this out to more countries. It’s delicious!!
The Best Ingredient Ever: Garlic
So basically, this pizza is incredible. Also, there’s so much garlic in it that I wanted to fit the word “garlic” into the name somehow. But then that was just too many different words in one title, so it unfortunately needed to be left out. I mean “Honey Barbecue Garlic Chicken Pizza from Brunei” is a little overboard. But I just want you to know that had my brain had enough capacity to comprehend another ingredient in the name of this dish, the word “garlic” would have made it in. You know… because it has so much garlic (YUM).
Okay moving on.
The Crust of Your Honey Barbecue Chicken Pizza
So to make my life easier, I just made this recipe with pre-made pizza dough from the grocery store. I bought the balled, frozen kind that’s still waiting to thaw out and be turned into the shape of the pizza. I used Tiseo’s brand, and I LOVED It!
This is definitely the MOVE here, people. If you want to make your own pizza dough you can! But if you want a quick and easy pizza, I would definitely recommend going with a frozen kind.
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to leave a comment letting me know what you thought! You can also show a picture of your finished product on Facebook or Instagram and tag @TheForeignFork or hashtag #TheForeignFork.
If you liked this recipe, you might also like these other recipes I picked out just for you:
- Margherita Pizza
- Pispili from Albania
- Rum Soaked Pork Tenderloin from Bolivia
- Peach Pizza with Goat Cheese and Honey
Honey Barbecue Chicken Pizza (Brunei)
Honey Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup barbecue sauced, I used Sweet Baby Ray’s Brand
- 6 tbsp honey, divided
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded to 1 inch thick
- 1 whole head garlic, roasted
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Frozen Pizza Dough, preferably Tiseo’s brand
- 8 oz block of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp honey
- One bunch of green onions, only the green ends
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the head off the top of the garlic bulb and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Roast for about 30-40 minutes until the garlic begins to bubble. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the water and the cornstarch and mix together until dissolved.
- Combine cornstarch mixture in a medium pot with the rest of the honey barbecue sauce ingredients. Stir to combine. Cook on medium-high heat until sauce starts to bubble and thicken, stirring occasionally. Remove from burner.
- Divide the completed sauce in half. Reserve half for pizza sauce. Pour the other half in a plastic ziplock back with the chicken breast. Allow to marinade for an hour or two.
- Once chicken is done marinating, cook it by your desired method. I grilled it on a panini press until cooked through. You can grill it on a barbecue grill, bake it in the oven, or stir-fry it. I found that the tabletop grill was the fastest. When done cooking, cut the chicken breast into thin strips to lay across the pizza.
Assembling the Pizza
- Thaw pizza dough according to package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine unsalted, softened butter with 3-4 cloves of garlic from your roasted bulb. Mix together to make garlic butter.
- Roll out your pizza dough and place on an ungreased tray, rolling the edges up to create a thick crust.
- Use a rubber spatula to spread the garlic butter mixture over the entire pizza, including the dough and the crust.
- Drizzle the other half of the honey barbecue sauce on the pizza, spreading with a spatula to cover all of the dough. Layer mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce and then the chicken breast on top of the cheese.
- Place the pizza in the preheated oven and cook for about 15 minutes, until the crust starts to brown and the cheese is melted.
- Once the pizza is removed from the oven, drizzle the extra tablespoon of honey over the pizza. Then add chopped green onions. Lastly, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Enjoy! Leave a comment on this recipe to let me know what you thought.