Mango with Sticky Rice is a famous dessert in Southeast Asia. To make this classic Brunei dish, combine white rice with coconut milk and sugar to turn that savory rice into a delicious dessert! Add some sweet, delicious mango on top and you will have one happy tummy.
I have been so excited to make mango with sticky rice for so long. I always thought that mango with sticky rice was the epitome of a delicious and exotic Asian dessert. But seriously, when else would I get to eat white rice as a dessert food?! Normally I associate mango with sticky rice as a Thai dessert, but as we established on the Brunei page, the foods of Brunei are often very similar to the foods of Thailand. So… I went for it.
How to Make Mango with Sticky Rice
This meal is SUPER easy to make! Just cook the rice in one pot and boil the coconut milk and sugar mixture in another pot. Then combine them together. One important thing to note for making this recipe: Make sure to allow the rice to sit in the coconut milk mixture for at least 15-20 minutes before serving. This allows the rice time to soak up the coconut milk mixture. You don’t want the rice to be soupy when you eat it.
Picking the Right Mangoes
Make sure, also, to pick mangoes that are the correct amount of ripeness. A sweet, but still slightly hard mango is a perfect option here. You don’t want your mango to be too mushy, as the texture will blend in too easily with the texture of the rice. Instead, a harder mango that is still ripe and sweet will be the perfect option.
If you liked this recipe, make sure to check out the other dishes from Brunei on my website! Also, if you make this recipe, post a photo of it on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #TheForeignFork and tag @TheForeignFork. Thanks for stopping by everyone!
Mango with Sticky Rice
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 mangos sliced or diced
- Sesame seeds
- Put rice in a bowl, cover with water, and soak overnight.
- In morning, pour the rice into a colander to drain all of the water. Run water over the rice until the water runs clear.
- Place the soaked rice in a medium pot and add 2 cups water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Leave the lid on the pot for 20 min. When done, turn off heat, remove lid, and fluff rice with a fork.
- When the rice has about 5-10 minutes left to cook, make the coconut milk mixture. Combine the coconut milk, sugar, and salt in a small pot and mix to combine. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Allow to boil for about 2-3 minutes, until all of the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the coconut milk mixture into the rice mixture. Cover again, and allow to sit for about ten minutes. This will allow the rice time to soak up the excess liquid. You must do this while the rice is still warm.
- To serve, use a 1/3 measuring cup. Form the rice into the cup and then turn it over onto the plate. Line the plate with strips or cubes of mango. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Enjoy!