This Tuna with Rice recipe, also known as Arroz con Atum, comes from the nation of Cabo Verde. The rice is so flavorful and delicious, and the tuna steak is a perfect form of protein in this meal! Keep reading for the recipe.
Hello Reader! I try my hardest to research recipes as best as I can before posting to ensure I am representing each culture correctly. If this recipe is from your country and I have made a mistake or you have suggestions for how to make it more authentic, I would love to hear! Please leave a comment below letting me know what should be different, and I will rework the recipe. It is always my intention to pay homage and respect to each cultural dish that I cook. Thanks for reading!
Why Make this Recipe
- Under 30 Minutes: Sometimes you just need an easy recipe that can get on the dinner table quickly. This recipe is perfect for that! Your Tuna and Rice recipe will be on the dinner table in under 30 minutes.
- “Travel” to Cabo Verde: If you’ve ever wanted to visit Cabo Verde, this recipe gives you the opportunity to experience the country from the comfort of your kitchen!
- Healthy: This recipe is great for a healthy meal (especially if you sub the white rice for brown rice).
- Low Cost: This recipe makes quite a bit of food but keeps the servings very low cost, especially if you are using canned tuna instead of tuna steak.
What Do I Need to Make this Recipe
- Onion: Sweet Onion
- Roma Tomatoes: You can also use a large tomato if necessary
- Beef Bouillon Cubes: You can also use 2 tsp of jarred bouillon if preferred
- Rice: I use long grain white rice.
- Tuna Steak: You can also use canned tuna if you’d prefer
- Pantry Staples: Bay leaves, olive oil, salt, water
- Large pot + lid
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- Wooden Spoon/Spatula
How to Make this Recipe
Step 1: Prep the Vegetables
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add the onion, tomatoes, and garlic, and allow to sauté in the olive oil until fragrant, about 6 minutes.
Add the bay leaves and the two bouillon cubes. Continue stirring until the bouillon cubes melt into the rest of the oil.
Step 2: Cook the Rice
Add the rice and the water into the pot, stirring to combine them with the other ingredients. Top with a lid, and allow water to come to a soft simmer. Set a timer for 5 minutes.
Step 3: Cook the Tuna
After 5 minutes, remove the lid and add the tuna into the pot. Stir to combine. Replace the lid on the pot and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat but keep the lid on. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, fluff the rice with a fork and serve. Enjoy!
- Tuna is, of course, popular in Cabo Verde because Cabo Verde is an island nation with an abundance of tuna. If you don’t like tuna, you could also make this dish with chicken.
- If you want to sub brown rice into this recipe, you can do so! Make sure to cook the rice for 20-30 minutes before adding the tuna, as brown rice takes a lot longer to cook than white rice.
- For best results, get canned tuna in oil (if making the recipe with canned tuna)
- Sometimes this dish is made with beans. Feel free to add them for more protein!
- Often the Rice and Tuna (also known as Arroz con Atum) is topped with green olives.
- Enjoy this dish with a glass of white wine
- You can also make this dish using jasmine rice!
Should I Use Canned Tuna or Tuna Steak?
This dish is normally made with canned tuna. I watched a few YouTube videos before deciding to make this dish myself, and I heard that if you didn’t pick the highest quality canned tuna, the dish wouldn’t be as delicious as it could be.
My trip to Kroger left me nervous that I wasn’t choosing the best tuna… instead, I walked over to the fish counter and ordered tuna steaks. If the locals were telling me that I needed high quality tuna, high quality tuna is what I was going to buy.
I’m not a fan of canned tuna, but I LOVE tuna steaks! For me, this was the preferred way to modify the dish.
How to Cook Perfect Tuna Steak?
Take care in cooking your tuna in this dish. If tuna is overcooked, it becomes tough and chalky.
Tuna typically takes about ten minutes to cook through, so make sure to wait five minutes before adding the tuna into the rice dish. This way, the rice and the tuna will complete cooking at the same time.
How Can I Make Tuna and Rice Recipe Even Faster?
You can make this recipe using Instant Rice if you want a REALLY quick meal. In that case, cook the veggies as the instructions say, but also add the tuna and saute for a few minutes as well.
Finally, add the water into the pot and bring it to a boil, then follow the instructions for cooking Instant Brown Rice on the stove. This will cut down your cook time even more!
Can I Make this Dish Using Leftover Rice?
Yes! If you have rice leftover from a recent dinner, you can still make this recipe. In that case, cook the veggies as the instructions say, but also add the tuna and saute for a few minutes as well.
When the veggies and tuna are cooked though, add the already cooked rice and mix it all together.
Did you like this Tuna and Rice recipe? If so, make sure to check out these other recipes I picked out just for you:
- Easy Fried Tuna from Cote D’Ivoire
- Arroz con Leche in the Instant Pot
- Avocado Salad Recipe
- Instant Pot Jambalaya Recipe
- Steak and Onions (Afra/Dibi)
Rice with Tuna
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 beef or chicken bouillon cubes, (I prefer beef)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 3 cups water
- 16 oz. Tuna steak, cut into ½ inch cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, and garlic, and allow to sauté in the olive oil until fragrant, about 6 minutes.
- Add the bay leaves and the two bouillon cubes. Continue stirring until the bouillon cubes melt into the rest of the oil.
- Add the rice and the water into the pot, stirring to combine them with the other ingredients. Top with a lid, and set a timer for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove the lid and add the tuna into the pot. Stir to combine. Replace the lid on the pot and continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat but keep the lid on. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, fluff the rice with a fork and serve. Enjoy!
- Leave a comment on this recipe letting me know what you thought!