This Strawberry Bread Recipe is similar to banana bread but is made with fresh strawberries. It’s then topped with a delicious, pink strawberry glaze. This recipe is perfect for a spring or summer snack and can be enjoyed as a breakfast treat or a fruity dessert!
I’ve been obsessed with baking with strawberries recently (remember my strawberry tiramisu recipe?). My mom had recently come home with two massive, Costco-sized containers of strawberries… More than we were ever going to be able to eat on our own.
So, it was up to me! I was in charge of thinking of as many ways to cook those strawberries as possible. Hence this strawberry bread!
I’d never considered the idea of making strawberry bread until recently. But I’m sold on this idea! After making this recipe, I can already tell that this is one of those recipes that’s going to be on my rotation for the rest of my life.
When I’m an old, wrinkly grandma, my grandkids are going to request Grandma’s famous recipe, and this is what I’m going to whip up for them (or maybe Blueberry Bread… that’s not a bad option either).
What is Strawberry Bread?
My oh my, I am SO glad you asked! Strawberry bread is basically…. Deliciousness. It’s a similar concept as banana bread, but made with fresh strawberries instead of bananas!
The dough is a little denser than a cake batter, and the bread rises beautifully in the oven, making a spectacular bread that can double as a breakfast OR a dessert!
This recipe for strawberry bread also includes the *strawberry* on top (hehe, get it?). Strawberry glaze!
What is in this Strawberry Bread Recipe?
All purpose flour
What Ingredients are in a Strawberry Glaze?
Red or pink food coloring
How to Make Strawberry Bread
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a large bowl, mix 2 cups flour, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk your egg and sugar together. Then, whisk in the buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to combine. Do not overmix.
Once the mixture is completely smooth, add in the milk. Whisk again to combine.
Toss your strawberries with 2 tbsp of flour.
Pour the strawberries into the batter and fold them in carefully.
Grease a 9 x 5 glass baking pan. Pour the batter into the pan. Cook for 50-55 minutes. Check the bread. If at any time, it begins to brown too much, cover it with aluminum foil. To check to see if your bread is done, insert a toothpick into the middle. If the toothpick comes out clean, your bread is ready.
Remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool.
How to Make Strawberry Glaze from Scratch
Combine the powdered sugar with vanilla and melted butter. Whisk until smooth. Add in the food coloring and whisk again. Then mix in the strawberries.
When the bread is cool, pour the glaze over the strawberry bread.
Can I Use Frozen Strawberries?
Yes! If you’d like to make this bread but only have frozen strawberries, you can still make it work 🙂 Simply allow the strawberries to thaw, and then discard the excess liquid.
This recipe was originally tested with fresh strawberries, meaning that there was no strawberry juice that went into the bread. Extra, unaccounted-for liquid can make your bread soggy.
If you’d like to use frozen strawberries, just make sure that they thaw all the way and then none of the thawed ice gets put into the better.
Can I Add Chocolate Chips?
Absolutely! Just like you can add chocolate chips to your banana bread, you can do the same thing with your strawberry bread.
Make sure that before you add the chocolate chips into the batter, you coat them with a tablespoon or two of flour. Coating the add-ins with flour keeps them from floating to the bottom of the bread!
I’m partial to white chocolate chips, and I think that adding white chocolate chips into your strawberry bread would be delightful.
If you’re more of a milk or dark chocolate person yourself, you can choose to add milk or dark chocolate chips as well!
The amount of chocolate chips that you add is based entirely off of how chocolatey you want your bread to be. About ½ cup of chocolate chips is a safe place to start. If you’d like more, feel free to do so!
Still cook the bread according to the detailed baking instructions 🙂
How Do I Store Strawberry Bread?
I’m a little unpolished, so I choose to simply keep my strawberry bread in the pan with the aluminum foil on top.
I would recommend storing it in the fridge, as there are fresh strawberries on top of the loaf (in the glaze).
The bread will stay good for about 5 day. Because it is made with (and topped with) fresh fruit, I wouldn’t recommend keeping it much longer than that.
If you’d like to freeze the bread, you can always do so! It will stay good in the freezer for up to three months. Just make sure to allow it to thaw before eating.
Did you like this recipe for Strawberry Bread? If so, leave a comment on this post letting me know! When you make this recipe, post a photo on Facebook or Instagram and tag @TheForeignFork and hashtag #TheForeignFork.
If you liked this recipe, you might also like these other fruity desserts I picked out just for you:
- Strawberry Tiramisu
- Blueberry Bread
- Hibiscus Tea with Strawberries and Basil
- Acai Bowl
- Caramelized Bananas
Strawberry Bread Recipe
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups strawberries cut into small pieces
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- 1 drop red or pink food coloring
- 1 cup chopped up strawberries
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix 2 cups flour, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk your egg and sugar together. Then, whisk in the buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to combine. Do not overmix.
- Once the mixture is completely smooth, add in the milk. Whisk again to combine.
- Toss your strawberries with 2 tbsp of flour. Pour the strawberries into the batter and fold them in carefully.
- Grease a 9 x 5 glass baking pan. Pour the batter into the pan. Cook for 50-55 minutes. Check the bread. If at any time, it begins to brown too much, cover it with aluminum foil. To check to see if your bread is done, insert a toothpick into the middle. If the toothpick comes out clean, your bread is ready.
- Remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool.
- In the meantime, make the glaze. Combine the powdered sugar with milk and melted butter. Whisk until smooth. Add in the food coloring and whisk again. Then mix in the strawberries.
- When the bread is cool, pour the glaze over the strawberry bread.
- Enjoy! Leave a comment on this post letting me know what you thought.