Instant Pot Mangú from the Dominican Republic
Mangú Dominicana is made very commonly in the Dominican Republic by boiling plantains and then mashing them. Mangú is typically topped with red onions and served at breakfast.
Servings 4 servings
- 4 plantains not yet ripe
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp butter optional
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion cut into strips
Peel your plantains and cut them into 1-1.5 inch pieces. Place them in the Instant Pot with the water and secure the lid. Turn the cooking pressure to HIGH for 6 minutes. When the cook time has completed, perform a Quick Release.
Mash the plantains with a potato masher. You can also add some butter if you wish!
Remove the mangú from the Instant Pot and wash the pot. Turn the pot to SAUTE and add the olive oil until warmed.
Add the red onion to the pot and stir occasionally until the onion is cooked all the way. Add some salt to taste.
Place the red onions on top of the mangú. Enjoy!
Recipe copyright The Foreign Fork. For educational or personal use only.
Recipe was made using an 8 qt pot.
- Plantains: For this recipe, make sure to use plantains that aren’t ripe yet. The riper the plantain, the sweeter it is! Typically, ripe plantains are reserved for desserts, while non-ripe plantains are for savory dishes.
- Red Onion: The red onion portion of this recipe is completely optional, and not a requirement to make Mangú. The red onions are most traditionally cooked in vinegar, though I chose to saute mine in oil instead.
- Though it is NOT traditional, I did add a bit of milk into my mangú to help the consistency just a bit.
- Mangú is traditionally eaten as a breakfast dish in the Dominican Republic. Serve up your recipe with some fried eggs! If you want to complete a “traditional” Dominican breakfast, you can also add salami, fried cheese, and avocado to your plate.
- It is typical to also season the water with Adobo before cooking the plantains in the water as well.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 355mg | Potassium: 935mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 2193IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 1mg