Pan con Tomate (Tomato Bread from Spain & Andorra)
This simple Tapas recipe originated in Catalonia and Pan con Tomate is now popular in Andorra and Spain. Made by rubbing garlic, tomatoes, and olive oil on a loaf of crusty bread, you only need a few high quality ingredients to make an impressive recipe with lots of flavor.
- 1 loaf of crusty bread cut into slices about 1” thick
- 1 clove Garlic whole
- 1 Roma Tomato
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
Preheat the oven to a low broil.
Place the slices from one crusty loaf on an ungreased cookie sheet and place the sheet in the oven for 2-3 minutes or until the bread is toasted. Flip the bread over and toast again until browned. Remove the bread from the oven.
Peel the garlic clove and cut it in half. Rub the garlic onto each slice of bread.
Cut 1 roma tomato in half. Rub the tomato onto each slice of bread
Drizzle a bit of olive oil onto each piece of bread, then sprinkle each piece with salt. Enjoy!
Recipe Copyright The Foreign Fork. For educational or personal use only.
- Bread: Any loaf of crusty or rustic bread will work. I really like a baguette, but a french loaf or ciabatta bread will work as well. Try to choose a bread with an “open crumb”, meaning a bread with a lot of holes in it to store all of that great flavor! Tomato: I use a Roma Tomato because they are a “paste tomato” meaning that they will leave behind a better textured tomato pulp. Make sure you are getting a fresh, high quality tomato. Bonus points if you have a garden to pick from!
- Salt: I would highly recommend using a flaky sea salt for this recipe. It will make a big flavor and texture difference from table salt!
- Garlic: You can peel a garlic clove and cut it in half for easiest use!
- Use a serrated knife to cut the bread into slices.
- You can use a pastry brush to make sure the olive oil covers the entire piece of bread if you like a more uniform flavor.
- A non-traditional but delicious adaptation is to roast your head of garlic and then spread the caramelized garlic on the bread (To roast: Chop off the top of the head of garlic, drizzle with olive oil, and roast at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes).
- Serve the tomato bread as fast as possible to avoid your bread getting soggy.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 122kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 206mg | Potassium: 92mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 103IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 2mg