Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Time to welcome fall into the house with this delicious cake made using pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and topped with cream cheese frosting!
Servings 15 servings
- ½ cup butter unsalted and melted
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp The Spice Hunter ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp The Spice Hunter pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 8 oz cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted, softened to room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Use an electric hand mixer to mix 1/2 cup melted butter, 2 beaten eggs, 1 cup pumpkin puree, 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, and 1 1/2 cups buttermilk together until combined.
In a separate bowl, combine 2 cups all purpose flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, and 1/8 tsp salt.
Add dry mixture into the wet mixture, and mix with an electric hand mixer until combined and then for another 10 seconds.
Grease a 9×13 nonstick pan and pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together 1/2 cup butter and 8 oz cream cheese on high speed until smooth and creamy.
Add in 3 cups powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1/8 tsp salt. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds to combine, then switch to high speed and beat for two minutes.
Once the cake is cooled, spread the frosting on the cake and enjoy!
Recipe copyright The Foreign Fork. For educational or personal use only.
- Cream Cheese: I use full fat cream cheese, but you can use low fat if you want. Make sure to soften it to room temperature.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: I love The Spice Hunter brand!
- Cinnamon: I love The Spice Hunter brand!
- Pumpkin Puree: Make sure that you are using canned pumpkin puree, and not pumpkin pie filling!
- If you like chocolate chips, you can add chocolate chips to the base cake recipe as a last step before baking!
- If you want to experiment with a different cream cheese topping, try this Honey Cream Cheese Frosting.
- For the most beautiful looking frosting, use an offset spatula. A rubber spatula will also work, though it may not be as easy to maneuver.
Serving: 1piece | Calories: 399kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 334mg | Potassium: 130mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 40g | Vitamin A: 3195IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 1mg