Homemade Ginger Drink
This spicy but sweet drink is the perfect way to experience the tastes of West Africa from home. This 6 ingredient drink made with steeped ginger is great for a refreshing drink or a remedy for when you’re sick.
Servings 8 cups
Large Bowl with Lid
- ½ cup Ginger root fresh, grated
- 3 cups Boiling water
- 1/2 cup granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp whole Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- ¼ cup Lime juice fresh squeezed
- ½ cup Orange juice fresh squeezed
- 4 cups Cool water
In a large bowl, add 1/2 cup fresh grated ginger root and 3 cups boiling water.
Add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp whole cloves, and 2 cinnamon sticks. Use a spoon to mix the combination together. Put a lid on the bowl and set aside on the countertop for an hour.
When the hour is over, strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer. Press the remaining ginger root with your hands to squeeze out any extra liquid. Discard the solids, but keep the liquid.
Add 1/4 cup lime juice, 1/2 cup orange juice, and 4 cups water into the bowl. Put the lid back on the bowl and allow it to sit for another hour.
After an hour, strain the liquid again, trying not to pour out any of the sediment at the bottom of the bowl.
Store in the fridge in a gallon jug or a large jar. Serve when ready… enjoy!
Recipe copyright The Foreign Fork. For educational or personal use only.
- Ginger Root: You can use a spoon to peel the ginger root. Then grate it on a fine cheese grater or zester.
- Lime Juice: Use fresh limes.
- Orange Juice: Use fresh navel oranges.
- Some recipes call for Pineapple juice or pineapple essence. While this recipe doesn’t call for pineapple, it does sound delicious. Feel free to add it!
- Add a fresh squeeze of lime juice into each individual cup for some extra flavor.
- Some recipes for this Ginger Drink from Guinea also call for anise, lemon, or vanilla. Every recipe is different, depending on who makes it, so feel free to add whatever sounds good to you.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 65kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 70mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 38IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1mg