Australian Zucchini Slice
Zucchini Slice is a savory Australian bread made with zucchini. Fill it with whatever vegetables and cheese you like!
- 1 Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 cup Bacon Raw/Chopped
- 2 ½ cup Zucchini shredded
- 1 cup Carrot Grated
- 1 ½ cup Cheddar Cheese Grated
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- 5 Eggs
- ½ cup Olive Oil
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a glass 9x13 pan with parchment paper and spray it with nonstick spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, add 1 onion, 1 cup bacon, 2 ½ cups zucchini, 1 cup carrot, and 1 ½ cups cheese. Stir to combine.
Add the 1 cup flour, 1 ½ tsp baking powder, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. Stir again to coat the vegetables in the pan. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, crack the 5 eggs. Add ½ cup olive oil and whisk until combined.
Add the egg and oil mixture into the fillings. Use a wooden spoon to mix everything together until a batter is formed.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread until even. Put the pan in the oven and cook for 35-40 minutes. The zucchini slice is done when the eggs are set.
Remove and enjoy!
Recipe copyright The Foreign Fork. For educational or personal use only.
- Zucchini: Wash your zucchini but do not peel it. I grate it on the largest setting on my cheese grater. Then, wrap it in some paper towel and squeeze out any extra water. This is imperative so that your zucchini slice doesn’t get soggy.
- Carrots: I used pre-cut matchstick carrots, but you can also shred your own if you prefer.
- Onion: I use a sweet yellow onion, but you can also sub a cooking onion, green onion, or red onion.
- Oil: You can use olive oil or vegetable oil. I used olive oil.
- Cheese: I used cheddar, which I shredded fresh. You can use whatever kind of cheese you’d like.
- Vegetarian/Vegan? Simply omit the bacon!
- You can test to make sure the bake is done by inserting a toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes out dry, your dish is ready to eat. If not, add a few more minutes onto the timer.
- You can cook your bacon ahead of time for a crispier texture. I like less dishes, so I add it uncooked.
- Bake your batter in muffin tins for individual servings! Check your oven after 12-15 minutes to see if they need to cook longer.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 404mg | Potassium: 205mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2082IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 154mg | Iron: 1mg