This Instant Pot Goulash is a delightful blend of meat, pasta, tomato sauce, and cheese. It has a cook time of 6 minutes in the Instant Pot, and will satisfy your family’s cravings without needing to slave away over the stove!
This week I’m cooking the Czech Republic on my blog! I’m having such a fun time cooking some of the best Czech recipes that the country has to offer. I’ve had the idea to make Goulash for a long time, and decided that this week was finally the week!
Unfortunately, after some further research I realized that this recipe for Instant Pot Goulash is an Americanized version and is not very comparable to a Hungarian or Czech Goulash.
Though it may not fit in with Czechia week, this Instant Pot Goulash is still a DELICIOUS meal that you’re going to want on your table! It comes together quickly, and has a little something of everything for the family to love. Keep reading for instructions on how to make it!
Why Make this Recipe:
- Dinner in 6 minutes: Those days when you just can’t handle turning on the oven and waiting for an hour long bake time. Maybe you need to bring a dish to pass but have a million other things to do and need to keep it as hands off as possible…. Make this goulash in the Instant Pot! It has a 6 minute cook time and comes out perfect and ready to eat. You’re going to love it!
- A Full Meal: I don’t know about you, but the worst part about making dinner for me is planning out what sides to pair with my main dish and then having to make those too. UGH! Sometimes I just don’t have time for that! This recipe has everything you need…. Carbs, protein, even some veggies (the tomatoes!). This is a complete meal, all in one.
- Perfect for Kids: If your kids are picky eaters, this is going to be a perfect dish for them. Kids love noodles, and the cheese on this dish is going to make it so fun and yummy to eat!
What Ingredients are in this Recipe?[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”dCP4Wbhz” upload-date=”Mon Oct 26 2020 00:00:00 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)” name=”Instant Pot Goulash” description=”How to make a 6-minute cheesy goulash recipe in the Instant Pot!”]
- Ground Beef: When using ground beef, I typically use 80% lean ground beef. I do not drain the beef in between steps! Every once in a while, I run out of beef, but I have some other types of ground meat at home like venison or elk. These substitutes will work just as well in this recipe if need be (this is also a trick I use in my Yaroa recipe).
- Elbow Pasta: Elbow macaroni works the best for me out of any type of noodles in this recipe. If you want to use a different shape of noodles, you can definitely do so. Just make sure to monitor the cook time to account for the new shape of noodle. A good rule of thumb is to cook ½ of the time on the box when using a pressure cooker.
- Cheddar Cheese: Cheddar cheese is (as usual) the best part of this dish! Instead of using pre-shredded cheddar, I buy a block of cheddar and shred my own. I find that the cheese melts better when it has been shredded from a block.
- Seasonings: You’re going to need paprika, salt, and Italian Seasonings.
How to Make this Recipe
Step 1: Saute
Turn your Instant Pot to SAUTE and add the olive oil until heated. Then add the chopped onion and saute until soft.
Add the ground beef and stir until the beef cooks. Add the tomato paste and stir.
Step 2: Pressure Cook
Turn off SAUTE. Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and then the elbow noodles. Make sure the noodles are covered in liquid. Add paprika, Italian seasoning, salt, and worcestershire sauce.
Put the lid on the Instant Pot and turn to MANUAL or HIGH for 6 minutes.
Step 3: Add Cheese
Once the cooking cycle is complete, perform a Quick Release and remove the lid from the Instant Pot. Stir in the shredded cheddar and serve. Enjoy!
Can I Use Pre-Shredded Cheddar?
In my experience, the best consistency comes from using a block of cheddar that you shred yourself with a cheese grater.
Cheese that comes pre-shredded normally has anti-sticking agents that keep the cheese from sticking to itself. This sometimes gives a weird consistency when it is melted into a recipe.
For the best texture, I used a block of semi-sharp cheddar cheese and grated it myself.
How to Avoid a Burn Notice when Cooking Ground Beef
Ground beef in the Instant Pot can be tricky because it sometimes results in a burn notice. My best advice for cooking ground beef in your Instant Pot is to do a really good job at deglazing your pot.
After you cook the ground beef, add the liquids into the pot. Before you add the pasta and spices, take a moment to use a wooden spoon to scrape up all of the beef bits from the bottom of the pot. If these bits stay stuck on when cooking, they are what will incite a burn notice.
If you get a burn notice while cooking this dish, open the lid, and stir the Instant Pot Goulash, making sure to scrape the bottom really well. Add a little bit of chicken broth into the pot, put the lid back on, and continue cooking. This should solve your problem.
Can I Use a Different Type of Pasta?
Absolutely! If you don’t want to use elbow macaroni, you can use any other type of pasta that you’d like to make this recipe. If you use a different kind of pasta, make sure to check for the cooking time for that pasta shape.
Each pasta shape takes a different cook time in the Instant Pot, so always do your research to find out what the right cook time is! You don’t want soggy or undercooked pasta!
Did you like this recipe for Instant Pot Goulash? If so, make sure to take a photo and post it on Instagram or Facebook and tag @TheForeignFork or hashtag #TheForeignFork. Also leave a comment on this post letting me know what you thought!
If you like this recipe, don’t forget to check out the other recipes on my site as well. I’ve picked these ones out just for you:
- Thai Peanut Noodles in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese
- Creamy Pesto Pasta
- Instant Pot Creamy Beef and Shells
You’ll also love these 75 Easy Dinner Ideas that are just as easy as this Instant Pot Goulash. Happy cooking!
Instant Pot Goulash
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups elbow pasta
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Turn your Instant Pot to SAUTE and add the olive oil until heated. Then add the chopped onion and saute until soft.
- Add the ground beef and stir until the beef cooks. Add the tomato paste and stir.
- Turn off SAUTE. Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and then the elbow noodles. Make sure the noodles are covered in liquid.
- Add paprika, Italian seasoning, salt, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and turn to MANUAL or HIGH for 6 minutes. Once the cooking cycle is complete, perform a Quick Release and remove the lid from the Instant Pot. Stir in the shredded cheddar and serve.